River Hill Board of Directors
September 11, 2017
Opening (Agenda 1):
Richard Thomas, Board Chairperson, called the Board meeting to order at 7:05 p.m. The following members were in attendance: Robert Choi, Renee DuBois, Harjeet Jandu, Tony Miceli, and Dalia Shlash. Yamini Ananth and Cindy Tian, Student Members, and Susan Smith, Village Manager, were in attendance. Mr. Zhang, Board Member and Chao Wu, Columbia Council Representative, were absent.
Approval of the Agenda (Agenda 2):
Mr. Miceli made a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Mr. Choi seconded the motion. The motion passed (5-0-1).
Administrative Items (Agenda 3):
Mr. Choi made a motion to approve the August 7, 2017 Minutes as submitted. Mr. Miceli seconded the motion. The motion passed (5-0-1).
Mr. Choi made a motion to approve the August 23, 2017 Minutes as submitted. Mr. Jandu seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0).
Resident Speak Out (Agenda 4):
The following residents thanked the Board for holding the September 8 school redistricting meeting and requested that a follow-up meeting be scheduled. Mark Purdue (Phantom Moon Walk), Steve Marlow (Whistling Winds Walk), Sunny Sun (Winter Grain Path), Jennifer Zhai (Bright Flow Mews), and Xia Yin (Whistling Winds Walk). Mr. Marlow also raised concern about speeding on Indian Summer Drive and Linden Linthicum Lane and the need for traffic calming. He also expressed concern about safety at the MD 108/Linden Linthicum Lane intersection.
Village/Neighborhood Signage (Agenda 5):
Jan Clark, Columbia Association Open Space and Facilities Services, presented the concept plan for village and neighborhood entry signage. The Village of River Hill is not scheduled for new signs until FY26. Members of the Board had questions and expressed concerns about: the style and materials of the signs, the phasing of the replacement signs, the internal design process and lack of input from the villages, and the loss of community identity.
Traffic & Safety Committee Charter Revisions (Agenda 6A):
Mr. Thomas made a motion to move the revision of the Traffic & Safety Committee Charter off the table. Ms. DuBois seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0). Student Advisory Votes (2) – in favor.
Discussion. Mr. Miceli made a motion to table the Charter revisions for Mr. Miceli and Ms. Smith to coordinate modifications. Ms. DuBois seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0). Student Advisory Votes (2) – in favor.
New Business (Agenda 7):
Committee Reports (Agenda 8A):
- Ms. Ananth and Ms. Tian reported on the first Teen Advisory Committee meeting and volunteers for the WatershedPalooza. They discussed implementation of a new policy requiring TAC members to find a replacement when they are unable to volunteer at an event. They also stressed the emphasis being placed on accountability.
- Ms. Shlash reported on the meeting held with representatives from Linden Linthicum United Methodist Church and comments received from residents regarding the Indian Summer Drive site for a community playground. The community meeting is scheduled for September 14.
- Ms. DuBois reported on the redistricting meeting held on September 8. Ms. DuBois made a motion for the Association to hold a second redistricting meeting for the community with a representative from Howard County Public School System. Mr. Jandu seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0). Student Advisory Votes (2) – in favor.
- Ms. DuBois reported that the Development Advisory Committee (DAC) has three members. The DAC will meet with Erickson Living on Thursday, September 28 at 6 p.m.
- Mr. Choi reported on the plans for the WatershedPalooza to be held on September 16 and the visits to stormwater remediation sites in other villages conducted with Mr. McCoy in July.
Board Chair Report (Agenda 8B):
Mr. Thomas reported on the Board Chair meeting. He asked Ms. Smith to research the requirements for the Chartering Representative for Boy Scout Troop 702 since Mr. Cornell is no longer a member of the Board. Mr. Thomas noted the number of vacancies in the office buildings in the village center.
Council Representative Report (Agenda 8C):
Village Manager’s Report (Agenda 8D):
A written report is on file with the original Minutes. Ms. Smith gave updates on the following: staffing changes, Zoning Board meeting regarding Erickson Living project, cell tower relocation, Columbia Housing Center formation, CA and Economic Development Authority Retail Development Program, meeting with the Horizon Foundation, meeting with Congressman Cummings office, electrical outages, and school bus access on Towering Oak Path.
Board Speak Out (Agenda 9):
Mr. Jandu suggested that the Association hold a fundraiser or collect contributions to support the victims of the recent hurricanes.
Adjournment (Agenda 10):
Ms. DuBois made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:47 p.m. Mr. Jandu seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0). Student Advisory Votes (2) – in favor.
Submitted by: Susan M. Smith, Village Manager
Minutes Approved: October 2, 2017