October 5, 2015 Board Minutes

River Hill Board of Directors
Meeting Minutes
October 5, 2015

Michael Cornell, Board Chair, called the regularly scheduled meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. on October 5, 2015, at Claret Hall, 6020 Daybreak Circle, Clarksville, MD 21029. Members present were Dave Clark, Esti Schabelman, and Richard Thomas. Council Member Chao Wu and Susan Smith, Village Manager, were present. Will McCullough, Liyan Zhang, and Jennifer Zhang (Student Member), were absent. A list of attendees is on file with the Minutes.

Approval of the Agenda (Agenda 2):
Mr. Thomas made a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Mr. Clark seconded the motion. The motion passed (4-0-0).

Administrative Items (Agenda 3):
Mr. Clark made a motion to approve the September 21, 2015 Minutes. Mr. Thomas seconded the motion. The motion passed (4-0-0).

Resident Speak Out (Agenda 4):
None.

River Hill Village Center – Sign Design Criteria (Agenda 5A):
Gregory Reed, Director Acquisitions & Development, Kimco Realty and Rebbecca Rivard, Senior Director Asset Management, Kimco Realty, met with the Board and presented proposed Sign Design Criteria. Their goal is to make the criteria specific for each village and to clarify the requirements for merchants. Additional signage proposed: Tenant ID signage added to the monument signs at the two entrances on Great Star Drive and tenant directory signage at either end of the courtyard area. Kimco has determined that signage along MD 108 is not feasible since they only have access to property at the entrance to the Giant loading dock. The Board was not in favor of the addition of flags behind the ID signage. The Board requested information on: the brightness of the sign lighting, the use of native plants/invasive plants, and the use of fertilizers and pesticides. Concern was expressed regarding visibility and pedestrian crossings at the south end of Daybreak Circle (by the Columbia Bank drive-thru). Kimco agreed to follow-up with the State Highway Administration to request signage on MD 32 identifying the village and businesses.

CA Board of Directors (Agenda 6):
Andy Stack, Owen Brown Columbia Council Representative, met with the Board and reviewed Columbia Association (CA) highlights for FY15. He noted that “infrastructure” improvements will be the focus over the next 5 years. An independent analysis of all buildings will be conducted over the next 4 years to determine priorities. He noted that CA: is working with the County to construct a dog park in Blandair Park; has established new, wider standards for bridges and pathways that will be implemented as replacement is needed; improvements are planned for the Columbia Swim Center and SplashDown will be replaced.

Old Business (Agenda 7):
None.

Manager’s Report (Agenda 8A):
A written report is attached to the original minutes. Ms. Smith made note of the following:
• CA’s responses to the FY17/18 budget requests are available and will be forwarded to the Board. Proposed Category II Capital projects in River Hill: ADA and shade structure improvements at the outdoor pool wading pool area and HVAC replacement at the Columbia Gym.
• Clarksville Commons Groundbreaking Ceremony – October 7 at 11 a.m. Ms. Smith and Mr. Thomas will attend.
• Streetscape Plan and Design Guidelines Meeting – October 21, 6:30 – 8 p.m. Mr. Thomas, Mr. Wu, and Ms. Smith will attend. Ms. Smith will check Mr. McCullough’s availability.
• It was the consensus of the Board to send written requests to Senator Guzzone and County Executive Kittleman regarding budget priorities. An update will be requested on the status of a State environmental study of the funeral home site.
• Police Department Pathway Patrol program – scheduled for December 7 meeting.

Board Chair Report (Agenda 8B):
It was the consensus of the Board to invite the Architectural Committee and Resident Architectural Committee to the November 2 meeting to obtain their input on the proposed Village Center Sign Design Criteria.

Council Representative’s Report (Agenda 8C):
Mr. Wu noted that CA conducted a membership study and are planning to simplify the membership rates. Modifications to the rate structure will not be implemented in the FY17 & 18 budgets.

Liaisons/Student Member (Agenda 8D):
None.

Board Speak Out (Agenda 9):
None.

Adjournment (Agenda 10):
Mr. Cornell adjourned the meeting at 9:07 p.m.

Minutes submitted by: Susan M. Smith, Village Manager

Minutes Approved: November 2, 2015

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *