River Hill Board of Directors
October 2, 2017
Opening (Agenda 1):
Richard Thomas, Board Chairperson, called the Board meeting to order at 7:02 p.m. The following members were in attendance: Robert Choi, Harjeet Jandu, Tony Miceli. Dalia Shlash arrived at 7:03 p.m. Renee DuBois arrived at 7:07 p.m. Chao Wu, Columbia Council Representative, arrived at 7:28 p.m. Yamini Ananth (arrived at 7:03 p.m.) and Cindy Tian (arrived at 7:07 p.m.), Student Members, and Susan Smith, Village Manager, were in attendance. Mr. Zhang, Board Member was absent.
Approval of the Agenda (Agenda 2):
Mr. Miceli made a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Mr. Choi seconded the motion. The motion passed (4-0-0).
Administrative Items (Agenda 3):
Mr. Jandu made a motion to approve the September 11, 2017 Minutes as submitted. Mr. Choi seconded the motion. The motion passed (4-0-0).
Resident Speak Out (Agenda 4):
Traffic & Safety Committee Charter Revisions (Agenda 5A):
Mr. Thomas made a motion to move the revision of the Traffic & Safety Committee Charter off the table. Ms. Shlash seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0). Student Advisory Votes (2) – in favor.
Mr. Miceli made a motion to amend the revised draft to include the addition of noise to the 3rd bullet and elimination of the 4th bullet. Mr. Jandu seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0). Student Advisory Votes (2) – in favor.
Mr. Jandu expressed concern about the fatal accident that occurred in the construction zone on MD 32. The Board discussed the need for a barrier separating the two lanes of traffic and the need for the speed limit to be reduced. Staff will follow-up with the State Highway Administration.
Assessment Share Formula (Agenda 5B):
The Board discussed the content of the work team’s final report. It was the consensus of the Board that the phase in of increases should occur more quickly than 3 years. It was the consensus of the Board that Mr. Thomas will address the CA Board about the formula during Resident Speak Out on October 26
Ms. DuBois made a motion to reaffirm the Association’s position to refund the full balance of the Contingency Fund to the villages. Mr. Miceli seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0). Student Advisory Votes (2) – in favor.
Mr. Thomas will prepare talking points and share them with the Board prior to October 26.
Erickson Living at Limestone Valley (Agenda 6A):
Based on the improvements contained in the Initial Development Concept Plan, it was the consensus of the Board to support moving forward with the process to change the zoning of the affected properties to CEF-M and to request that the recommendations made by the Association be evaluated for incorporation. Mr. Alan Schneider (12598 Clarksville Pike, Clarksville, MD) spoke out and encouraged the Board to demand that intersection and other improvements be made.
Mr. Thomas made a motion to appoint Ms. DuBois to speak on behalf of the Association at the Zoning Board Meeting on October 12. Ms. Shlash seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0). Student Advisory Votes (2) – in favor.
Ms. DuBois will draft the Association’s input and circulate it to the entire Board prior to the October 12 Zoning Board meeting.
FY18 1st Quarter Financial Reports and Variance Analysis (Agenda 6B):
Mr. Thomas made a motion to approve the FY18 1st Quarter Financial Reports and Variance Analysis. Mr. Wu seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0). Student Advisory Votes (2) – in favor.
Committee Reports (Agenda 7A):
- Ananth and Ms. Tian reported on the success of the WatershedPalooza and the planning for the Halloween event on October 27. They mentioned incorporating a community service aspect into the Halloween event.
- Shlash reported on the meeting held with residents on September 14 and noted that most of the input was in opposition to the construction of a community playground. Ms. Shlash noted that the FY19/20 budget request was modified to request planning and construction funds to improve two tot lots, one in the Pheasant Ridge neighborhood and another in the Pointers Run neighborhood.
- DuBois reported that a second redistricting meeting will be held on October 9 and Renee Kamen, Manager, Office of School Planning, will participate.
- Development Advisory Committee – none.
- Miceli summarized the meeting held on September 13 with representatives from the County Department of Public Works. Meetings with Kimco and State Highway Administration are in the process of being scheduled.
- Choi reported on the success of the WatershedPalooza and noted the Watershed Advisory Committee will meet next on October 11.
Village Manager Report (Agenda 7B):
Ms. Smith reported that Leslie McDermott began her position as Events Coordinator on October 2.
Board Chair Report (Agenda 7C):
Council Representative Report (Agenda 7D):
Mr. Wu noted that the CA Board has been reviewing the plans for Columbia’s Lakefront area and is concerned about the heights of the buildings being proposed. He reported that he had testified before the County Council about the Adequate Public Facilities Ordinance. He had attended showing of the movie Columbia at 50 – A Bridge to the Future.
Board Speak Out (Agenda 8):
Adjournment (Agenda 9):
Ms. DuBois made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:08 p.m. Mr. Wu seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0). Student Advisory Votes (2) – in favor.
Submitted by: Susan M. Smith, Village Manager
Minutes Approved: November 6, 2017