October 17, 2011 Board Minutes
Todd Harrison, Vice Chair, opened the meeting at 7:05 p.m., on October 17, 2011, at Claret Hall, 6020 Daybreak Circle, Clarksville, MD 21029. Members present were Cynthia Asoka, Zachary Marks, and Dipper Wettstein. Kenny Kan arrived at 7:19 p.m. Sean Salisbury, Student Member, Michael Cornell, Council Representative, and Susan Smith, Village Manager, were present. Chao Wu and Tony Miceli were absent. Mr. Salisbury left at 8:10 p.m.
Approval of the Agenda (Agenda 2):
Ms. Asoka made a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Mr. Wettstein seconded the motion. The motion passed (4-0-0). (Student Advisory Vote – in favor).
Administrative Items (Agenda 3):
Mr. Wettstein made a motion to approve the October 3, 2011 minutes as amended. Ms. Asoka seconded the motion. The motion passed (3-0-1). (Student Advisory Vote – abstained).
Mr. Wettstein made a motion to approve the September 19, 2011 minutes as submitted. Mr. Kan seconded the motion. The motion passed (3-0-2).
Resident Speak Out (Agenda 4):
New Business (Agenda 5):
- RAC Membership – Ms. Smith explained that Kathy Chavers, an Association employee and River Hill resident, has expressed interest in volunteering on the RAC. Discussion. Mr. Kan made a motion to allow for Ms. Chavers to be considered for a six (6) month interim appointment to the RAC and uncles the Board determines otherwise, this appointment would renew every six (6) months. Ms. Asoka seconded the motion. The motion passed (4-1-0) ) (Student Advisory Vote – in favor).
Old Business (Agenda 6):
- Solar Panel Installation at River Hill Meeting Room – Mr. Marks made a motion to ratify the email vote in support of testimony in favor of supporting a variance to the County’s setback requirements to allow for solar panels to be installed. Mr. Kan seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0) (Student Advisory Vote – in favor).
Reports (Agenda 7):
- Village Manager – A written report is on file with the Minutes. Ms. Smith made the Board aware that she had been contacted by Boy Scout Troop 618 about becoming the chartering organization. The Hickory Ridge Community Association is their current chartering organization. However, the members of the troop reside in River Hill. Ms. Smith will keep the Board informed.
There was discussion about capturing email addresses of residents e.g., holding a contest, using the Block Captains to obtain email addresses.
There was discussion about the Village Allocation Model and the impact that the recession has had on salaries in the Baltimore-Washington region.
- Council Representative – Mr. Cornell reported that as part of the budget process, the CA Board is considering adding positions for covenant enforcement and community organizers. The CA Board is also discussing lowering the cap on lien rate increases. CA is focusing on the gaining infrastructure and repairs, replacements, and renovations are being considered.
- Liaisons – Student Member Sean Salisbury reported on the success of HawkFest and stated that several hundred people attended and that a lot of outside organizations participated. He recognized the importance of advertising in the community earlier next year. Mr. Kan reiterated prior comments that FY12 is a tight budget year. Mr. Harrison inquired about River Hill’s representation on the Senior Advisory Committee. He asked that this be an agenda item in November or December. Mr. Wettstein reported that River Hill’s soil testing participation is increasing due to his efforts.
Executive Session (Agenda 8):
Mr. Wettstein made a motion to move into Executive Session for the purposes of potential litigation and personnel matters at 8:11 p.m. Ms. Asoka seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0). At 9:02 p.m. Mr. Kan made a motion to adjourn the Executive Session. Mr. Wettstein seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0).
Board Speak Out (Agenda 9):
Ms. Asoka asked who to contact about obtaining signs for the Oak Ridge Community Church at the interfaith center. Ms. Smith will forward the contact information to Ms. Asoka.
Adjournment (Agenda 10):
Ms. Asoka made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:04 p.m. Mr. Marks seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0).
Minutes submitted by: Susan M. Smith, Village Manager
Minutes Approved: November 7, 2011 (as amended)
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!