May 17, 2010 Board Minutes
River Hill Board of Directors Meeting
May 17, 2010
Todd Harrison called a regularly scheduled meeting of the River Hill Village Board to order at 7:06 p.m., on May 17, 2010, at Claret Hall, 6020 Daybreak Circle, Clarksville, MD 21029. Members present were Trevor Greene, and Tony Miceli. Michael Cornell, Council Representative, and Susan Smith, Village Manager were present. Frank Saletel was absent.
Approval of the Agenda (Agenda 2):
Mr. Greene made a motion to approve the agenda. Mr. Miceli seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously (3-0-0).
Resident Speak out (Agenda 3):
Sophia Vazquez, Teen Representative, explained that Tatiana Hill will attend the Village Board meetings this fiscal year on behalf of the River Hill High School Student Government Association (SGA).
Old Business (Agenda 4):
- Board Membership – Mr. Miceli provided an overview on the history of appointing Student Members to the Village Board. RHHS did not have a student who ran for the liaison position this year and Atholton High School SGA does not have an official River Hill Community Association liaison position. Asmi Panigrahi, a Teen Representative to the Board for two years, has submitted a letter of interest and a letter of recommendation. The Board interviewed Asmi Panigrahi and thanked her for her commitment to the community and interest in serving as a Student Member on the Village Board.
New Business (Agenda 5):
- Open Space Encroachment Issues – Ms. Smith reviewed draft correspondence prepared in response to the Board’s request. Ms. Smith explained that at the May 2010 Managers’ Meeting she had initiated a discussion with Sean Harbaugh and Michelle Miller about the need for clear policies and procedures regarding encroachments into CA open space. CA was receptive and the Managers will work with CA staff on this matter. At this time, the Association will not send the letter.
- Class Advertising Rates – Ms. Smith reviewed proposed advertising rates for the programs that contract with the Association to run classes (copy on file with the Minutes). Mr. Greene made a motion to approve the recommended advertising rates with the addition of a $5 charge for an additional 75 words and a $5 charge for an additional email or website link. Mr. Miceli seconded the motion. The motion passed (3-0-0).
- Board Meeting Schedule FY11 – Mr. Harrison made a motion to approve the recommended schedule (on file with the Minutes) with the substitution of July 19 for July 12. Mr. Greene seconded the motion. The motion passed (3-0-0).
- Contingency Fund Request – Mr. Greene made a motion to support the request of funds from the Village Contingency Fund to assist in paying for the unanticipated increase in the cost of the audit. Mr. Miceli seconded the motion. The motion passed (3-0-0).
Reports (Agenda 6):
- Village Manager – Written report on file with the Minutes. Ms. Smith distributed copies and reviewed the FY10 3rd Quarter Key Financial Data for the Village Associations. Ms. Smith distributed copies of a memo from Philip Nelson outlining the Service Bureau Concept. Ms. Smith distributed a sample rental incentive coupon. Ms. Smith made the Board aware of an incident on May 14 at which a tablecloth caught fire during a rental event.
- Council Representative – Mr. Cornell reported on the CA Board of Directors membership and Committee responsibilities. Mr. Cornell will serve on the Audit and Planning & Strategy Committees.
- Chairperson – Mr. Harrison reported on the Master Plan Committee and is working on a website for the Committee to share information.
- Liaison Areas – Mr. Greene discussed the Build a Better Columbia Summit and expressed concern that multiple villages will be seeking master planning support and that CA has planned to only assist 2 – 3 villages per year. He also stressed the importance of connecting River Hill to the rest of Columbia through the addition of designated bike lanes. Mr. Miceli reported that the Traffic & Safety Committee will meet with Michael Cardany, the new Kimco Property Manager, at their May 26 meeting. He outlined issues to be discussed.
Administrative Items (Agenda 7):
Mr. Greene made a motion to approve the May 3, 2010 minutes as presented. Mr. Miceli seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously (3-0-0).
Board Speak out (Agenda 8):
Mr. Miceli made a motion, contingent on D & O insurance coverage, to appoint Asmi Panigrahi as the first Student Member on the Village Board for the period June 1, 2010 – April 30, 2010, contingent . Mr. Greene seconded the motion. The motion passed (3-0-0). It was the consensus of the Board to include a referendum on the next ballot to designate up to two (2), one-year positions on the Village Board for Student Members. Appointment would be at the discretion of the Village Board.
Adjournment (Agenda 9):
Mr. Greene made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:13 p.m. Mr. Miceli seconded the motion. The motion passed (3-0-0).
Minutes submitted by: Susan M. Smith, Village Manager
Minutes Approved: June 21, 2010 (as amended)
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!