River Hill Board of Directors Meeting
July 19, 2010
Todd Harrison, Board Chair, called a regularly scheduled meeting of the River Hill Village Board to order at 7:00 p.m., on July 19, 2010, at Claret Hall, 6020 Daybreak Circle, Clarksville, MD 21029. Members present were Trevor Greene, Tony Miceli, Asmi Panigrahi, and Frank Saletel. Susan Smith, Village Manager, was present. Michael Cornell, Council Representative, arrived shortly thereafter.
Approval of the Agenda (Agenda 2):
Mr. Saletel made a motion to approve the agenda. Mr. Greene seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously (5-0-0).
Resident Speak out (Agenda 3):
Olenka Stasyshyn, Director of Olenka School of Music, addressed the Board regarding increased rental and advertising rates affecting her class programs at Claret Hall. She also provided her concerns in writing (copy on file with the Minutes). She suggested the institution of a referral/rewards program. The Board thanked her for her input and agreed to consider her suggestions.
New Business (Agenda 4):
- Independence Day Parade Wrap Up – Barbara Wertman, the Parade Coordinator, met with the Village Board. Ms. Wertman and Ms. Smith provided an update on the parade. The Board discussed line-up issues that arose the morning of the parade. Mr. Saletel made a motion to send a letter to County Executive Ulman. Mr. Greene seconded the motion and modified the motion to include sending a letter to all candidates who participated in the parade. Discussion. Mr. Saletel withdrew his motion.
Mr. Saletel made a motion to not disbar any candidates from participating in the parade next year. Mr. Greene seconded the motion. Discussion. Mr. Saletel withdrew the motion.
Mr. Green made a motion for the Board to write a letter to County Executive Ulman holding him responsible for not following the rules of the parade. Mr. Miceli seconded the motion. Discussion. Mr. Green made a motion to table the motion. Mr. Saletel seconded the motion. The motion to table passed (5-0-0).
Mr. Greene made a motion to establish an official rule for all future participants that if they do not follow the parade rules that they will be banned for one year. The motion failed for lack of a second.
Mr. Miceli made a motion to send a letter to County Executive Ulman expressing disappointment that he and his campaign did not follow the parade procedures and therefore put the Association in an awkward position and expressing the expectation that the parade procedures be adhered to if he plans to participate in the future. Mr. Greene seconded the motion. Discussion. The motion passed (5-0-0).
2. FY10 Annual Report – Ms. Smith and the Board reviewed the report. Mr. Greene made a motion to approve FY10 Annual Report with the modifications discussed. Ms. Panigrahi seconded the motion. The motion passed (5-0-0).
Old Business (Agenda 5):
- “Community Playground”/Open Space Amenities – The Board reviewed the maps provided by the Columbia Association that identified two routes for a fitness trail and one route for a disc golf course. It was the consensus of the Board to invite Denis Ellis to attend the next Board meeting for further discussion.
Reports (Agenda 6):
- Village Manager – A copy of the report is on file with the minutes. Ms. Smith informed the Board that staff is hoping to coordinate with Vintage Cellars to offer a family pool party and movie night in August. Because no revenue had been budgeted for this expense, it was the consensus of the Board to charge $1 per person over the age of 2 years. The Board discussed meeting with Mary Kay Sigaty, Council Member District 4, on August 16. It was the consensus of the Board to invite the other candidates for the position, Alan Klein and Tom D’Asto, to attend and for the Board to inform the candidates regarding the issues of importance to the River Hill community. The Board discussed the rental rate and advertising rate concerns raised by Ms. Stasyshyn during the Speak out portion of the meeting. The Board consensus was that changes to the previously approved rates are not negotiable. They directed staff to investigate a referral program that could be offered to all tenants. Ms. Smith informed the Board that Jane Dembner, CA’s Community Planner, will attend the Master Plan Committee meeting on July 29.
- Board Chair – None.
- Council Representative – Mr. Cornell provided a written status report (copy on file with the Minutes) on the Customer Service Software (CSS) and reviewed steps that CA is taking to address the issues that have arisen. CA will bring in outside consultants to evaluate the product make a recommendation on how to proceed. CA is forming an Information Technology (IT) Committee and will conduct an IT audit. Mr. Cornell informed the Board that a Watershed Manager has been hired by CA.
- Liaison Areas – Mr. Greene expressed concerns that proposed modifications to the Howard Transit bus routes will discontinue service to the Village of River Hill. Mr. Greene stressed that River Hill needs to be connected to the rest of the county. Mr. Saletel commented that he found the recent article in the Baltimore Sun that focused on the make-up of the Village Boards to be disturbing. Ms. Panigrahi will email the Board the draft charter for a Teen Advisory Committee. Mr. Miceli will follow-up with the Department of Public Works regarding the need for additional pedestrian crossing signs and painting of the crosswalks on the southern end of Great Star Drive. He will also follow-up with Michael Cardany, Kimco Realty, about improvements in the Village Center.
Administrative Items (Agenda 7):
Mr. Saletel made a motion to approve the June 21, 2010 Minutes as amended. Ms. Panigrahi seconded the motion. The motion passed (5-0-0).
Board Speak Out (Agenda 8):
Adjournment (Agenda 9):
Mr. Miceli made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:20 p.m. Mr. Greene seconded the motion. The motion passed (5-0-0).
Minutes submitted by: Susan M. Smith, Village Manager
Minutes Approved: September 13, 2010