Have you been accumulating items at home that you need to dispose of? If so, take advantage of the following opportunities coming this season!
Recycle Usable Items
Our nation’s landfills are filling up. Help cut down on what is going to our landfill by recycling and reusing items. Many items that go to into landfills are still useful and can be donated to charitable organizations or recycled. Click on this link to Howard County’s website for ideas: http://www.co.ho.md.us/DPW/recycling.htm.
In hopes of avoiding the problems that we have encountered in the past, the Association, the County, and the Columbia Association are working together to try something new with the disposal of bulk items. We have assigned dates and locations to each neighborhood and residents will receive notification with their October newsletter identifying the appropriate date and location. Please only use the location that is designated for your address.
Please do not overfill the dumpsters or leave items outside the container or in the roadway as this is unsafe, unsightly, negatively impacts the community, and is costly to remove. If the dumpsters are full, please make arrangements to take your items to the landfill.
The following items are not allowed in the containers:
• Trash and recycling, including newspapers that would normally be picked up on your regular collection route.
• Remodeling or construction debris such as shingles, fencing, sheds, windows, or mirrors.
• Large tree trunks, stumps or branches
• Earth, broken paving, large rocks and boulders.
• Hazardous materials or liquids (chemicals, paint, flammables, explosives, etc.)
• Refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, or anything containing Freon
• Tires, lawnmowers, automobile or motorcycle parts
Trash should be loaded in the container so the door can easily be closed. Please be cooperative and follow the instructions above so that we can continue to hold Dumpster Days. If you have any questions or concerns, please call River Hill Community Association at 410-531-1749. Thank you in advance for your cooperation!
The Howard County Department of Public Works is holding a shredding event for Howard County residents to dispose of paper documents on Saturday, October 16 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (rain or shine) at the Long Gate Park and Ride (Route 100 and Long Gate Parkway). Howard County residents can bring up to 3 boxes of paper to be shred on-site.