An Exterior Alteration Application is required for all tear downs and/or new construction. Approval is required prior to demolition except where demolition is necessary to maintain the integrity of the neighborhood. All applications for tear downs/rebuilds are required to obtain a Howard County building permit.
Application must include:
- Site Plan-with dimensions, boundaries, present structures, & proposed alteration.
Note: Applications without a diagramed plot/plat plan will not be accepted.
- A plot/survey plan showing the current and proposed footprints of the new house in relationship with and measurement to all abutting property lines.
- A list of exterior building materials with detailed descriptions, color samples and styles.
- Scale drawing of proposed floor plan.
- Scale drawings of proposed construction including elevations/all views.
- Description of material, and color(s) for the following -roof, siding, trim, doors, fixtures.
- Lighting design plan with wattages. See GUIDELINE No.30 – LIGHTING.
- Foundation information.
- Deck information with completed Deck Worksheet.
- Garage plans to include garage doors. See GUIDELINE No.14 – DOORS AND GARAGE DOORS.
- Landscaping plans. See GUIDELINE No.28 –LANDSCAPING.
- Patio plans. See GUIDELINE No. 34- PATIOS.
- Deck/Porch plans. See GUIDELINE No.13 – DECKS.
- Walkway plans. See GUIDELINE No. 34- WALKWAYS.
- Window plans. See GUIDELINE No. 60 – WINDOWS.
Your application will most likely be approved if the following criteria are met:
- Submitted a completed application.
- Have clearly marked corners of the structure for any site visits to be done by the Resident Architectural Committee.
- Have described tree removal. See GUIDELINE No. 28- LANDSCAPING.
- Include the signatures of abutting and visually affected property owners.
- All replaced structures are of the same style, materials, colors, etc.
- Timelines with anticipated starting and completion dates for demolition, construction and landscaping are provided.
- Five (5) copies of plans over 11”x17” are included.
NOTE: Remind your contractors that they may not start before 7:00 a.m. and if work is to be done on the week-ends that they are considerate of your neighbors. It would be greatly appreciated if they could start a little later on weekends. If port-a-potties are used please ensure that your contractor follows COMAR rules for placement. Please ensure that all debris is removed in a timely fashion during and after construction and that no waste is allowed to accumulate on the lot.