An Exterior Alteration Application is required for all tear downs and/or new construction. Approval is required prior to demolition except where demolition is necessary to maintain the integrity of the neighborhood. All applications for tear downs/rebuilds are required to obtain a Howard County building permit.
Exterior Alteration Application Requirements
The application must include:
- Diagrammed site plan with dimensions, boundaries, present structures, and the proposed alteration. Note: Applications without a diagrammed plot plan will not be accepted.
- Diagrammed plot/survey plan showing the current and proposed footprints of the new house in relationship with and measurement to all abutting property lines.
- List of exterior building materials with detailed descriptions, color samples and styles.
- Scale drawing of proposed floor plan.
- Scale drawings of proposed construction including elevations/all views.
- Description of material, and color(s) for the following: roof, siding, trim, doors, fixtures.
- Lighting design plan with wattages. See GUIDELINE No.30—LIGHTING.
- Foundation information.
- Completed Deck Worksheet (if applicable).
- Garage plans to include garage doors. See GUIDELINE No.14—DOORS AND GARAGE DOORS.
- Landscaping plans. See GUIDELINE No.28a—LANDSCAPING,
GUIDELINE No.28b—LOW IMPACT LANDSCAPING,
GUIDELINE No.28c—GROUND COVER.
- Patio plans. See GUIDELINE No.34—PATIOS and WALKWAYS.
- Deck/Porch plans. See GUIDELINE No.13a—DECKS or GUIDELINE No.13b—DECKS (Stonehaven Townhouses).
- Walkway plans. See GUIDELINE No.34—PATIOS and WALKWAYS.
- Window plans. See GUIDELINE No.60a—WINDOWS and GUIDELINE No.60b–WINDOWS (FILMS or COATINGS).
Your application will most likely be approved if the following criteria are met:
- Submitted a completed application.
- Have clearly marked corners of the structure for any site visits to be done by the Resident Architectural Committee.Have described tree removal. See GUIDELINE No.28a—LANDSCAPING, GUIDELINE No.28b—LOW IMPACT LANDSCAPING, GUIDELINE No.28c—GROUND COVER.
- All replaced structures are of the same style, materials, colors, etc.
- Timelines with anticipated starting and completion dates for demolition, construction and landscaping are provided.
- Five (5) copies of plans over 11 x 17 inches are included.
NOTE: Remind your contractors that they may not start before 7:00 a.m. and if work is to be done on the weekends that they are considerate of your neighbors. It would be greatly appreciated if they could start a little later on weekends. If port-a-potties are used please ensure that your contractor follows COMAR rules for placement. Please ensure that all debris is removed in a timely fashion during and after construction and that no waste is allowed to accumulate on the lot.