An Exterior Alteration Application is required when placing a rain barrel(s) on your property.
Applications must include:
- A plot plan showing location.
Note: Applications without a diagramed plot/plat plan will not be accepted.
- Size/dimensions, style, color and material (a photo, drawing or brochure is highly desirable.)
- Number of barrels (no more than two will be approved.)
- A description of the drainage/overflow plan.
- A description of screening plans. See GUIDELINE No.47 – SCREENING.
- Mosquito prevention plan.
Your application will most likely be approved if the following criteria are met:
- The rain barrel is located on the property at a downspout.
- The rain barrel is secured so as not to topple.
- The rain barrel is placed on a level surface.
- The rain barrel does not exceed 65 gallon capacity and 48 inches in height.
- Vinyl barrels, match either the siding or downspout color.
- Wooden rain barrels remain natural i.e. unstained.
- No more than two (2) rain barrels are proposed.
- Information is provided on how mosquitoes will be prevented.
NOTE: Rain barrels must be maintained at all times, and should be kept free of standing water on or around anything not used as part of the rain barrel system. The rain barrel drainage must be properly diverted and may not flow onto neighboring properties, common areas or open space. During the winter season, rain barrels should be stored and/or all water removed or maintained in such a way that water will not get into the receptacle and freeze. These steps will ensure prolonged barrel life and avoid maintenance issues.