An Exterior Alteration Application must be submitted for the addition of, or restructuring of a front entryway, portico, or front porch.
Exterior Alteration Application Requirements
The applications must include:
- Diagrammed plot plan, showing location of the proposed structure. Note: Applications without a diagrammed plot plan will not be accepted.
- A detailed plan, to include a written description of all materials to be used.
- Measurements, dimensions, etc. of the project.
- Elevation drawings of the structure.
- Details of any railings to be used, if applicable.
- Description of flooring.
- Description of any corbels, brackets, or braces to include number, color, and placement.
- Description of any plantings to be removed for the construction of the structure.
- Changes in window or door locations, size, or style.
- Description of changes in exterior lighting to include the addition or removal of lighting and wattage.
- Description of proposed landscaping or screening. See GUIDELINE No.47—SCREENING.
- List of construction materials to include colors.
- The roof pitch and color if one is added.
- Color of soffit and fascia.
Your application will most likely be approved if it meets the following criteria:
- The alteration is compatible in location, color, size, conformity with the design of the house, and in relationship to neighboring dwellings.
- The Howard County Building Code is adhered to in all its aspects, including the obtaining of a building permit.
- The alteration matches the existing structure in style, color, and material.