https://www.villageofriverhill.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/SiteHeaderx807.png 0 0 Kayle Simon https://www.villageofriverhill.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/SiteHeaderx807.png Kayle Simon2015-06-25 16:24:502022-12-16 16:14:32Guideline No. 35 – Play Equipment
Guideline No. 35 – Play Equipment
An Exterior Alteration Application is required for the following:
- All play equipment over 8 feet in height and/or over 10 feet in length.
- Sandboxes more than one foot above ground and/or over 25 square feet.
- Tree houses, forts, playhouses, and trampolines.
- All play equipment not made of natural wood, regardless of size.
Exterior Alteration Application Requirements
The application must include:
- Diagrammed plot plan showing the location of the play equipment. Note: Applications without a diagrammed plot plan will not be accepted.
- Description of the play equipment.
- Completed Play Equipment Worksheet.
- Manufacturer’s drawing or photograph, if available.
Your application will most likely be approved if the following criteria are met:
- All equipment is in proportion to lot size.
- The overall size of the equipment is proportionate to the area and does not dominate the site.
- The equipment is inconspicuously located in the rear yard area at a reasonable distance (7.5 to 10 feet) from side and rear property lines.
- If natural wood play equipment is proposed; or if; metal play equipment is proposed, it is painted a dark earth tone color (brown, green).
- Equipment is located in the rear of the house and within lines defined by the sides of the house extended to the rear.
- Play Equipment is within 20 feet from the rear of the house or 2/3 the distance between the rear of the house and the rear property line, whichever is closer to the house.
- Fencing, planting, or landscape screening have been proposed, required. See GUIDELINE No.17—FENCING or GUIDELINE No.47—SCREENING.
Approval Not Required
An application is not required for swing sets and play equipment if all the following five criteria are met:
- Total height of 8 feet or less.
- Total length of 10 feet or less.
- Located at the rear of the house and within the lines defined by the sides of the house extended to the rear.
- Within 20 feet of the house or 2/3 the distance between the rear of the house and the rear property lines, whichever is closer to the house.
- The swing set or play equipment is made of natural wood.
An application is not required for sandboxes if all the following criteria are met:
- Total height is one foot or less above ground.
- Area is 25 square feet or less.
- The sandbox is within 20 feet of the rear of the house or two-thirds the distance between the rear of the house and the rear property line, whichever is closer to the house.
NOTE: Townhouse and condominium associations may have further restrictions on play equipment so please check with your local association. The most restrictive guidelines will apply.