An Exterior Alteration Application is required for the following:
- All play equipment over 8 feet in height and/or over 10 feet in length.
- Sandboxes more than one foot above ground and/or over 25 square feet.
- Tree houses, forts, doll houses and trampolines.
- All play equipment not made of natural wood, regardless of size.
Application must include:
- Site (plot) plan showing the location of the play equipment.
Note: Applications without a diagramed plot/plat plan will not be accepted.
- Description of the play equipment.
- Completed Play Equipment Work Sheet.
- Manufacturer drawing or photograph, if available. include:
Your application will most likely be approved if the following criteria are met:
- All equipment is in proportion to lot size.
- The overall size of the equipment is proportionate to the area and does not dominate the site.
- The equipment is inconspicuously located in the rear yard area at a reasonable distance (7.5′ to 10′) from side and rear property lines.
- If natural wood play equipment is proposed; or if; metal play equipment is proposed, it is painted a dark earth tone color (brown, green).
- Equipment is located in the rear of the house and within lines defined by the sides of the house extended to the rear.
- Play Equipment is within 20 feet from the rear of the house or 2/3 the distance between the rear of the house and the rear property line, whichever is closer to the house.
- Fencing, planting, or landscape screening have been proposed, required. See GUIDELINE No. 17- FENCING or GUIDELINE NO. 47-SCREENING.
Approval not required
An application is not required for swing sets and play equipment if all of the following criteria are met:
- Total height of 8 feet or less.
- Total length of 10 feet or less.
- Located at the rear of the house and within the lines defined by the sides of the house extended to the rear.
- Within 20 feet of the house or 2/3 the distance between the rear of the house and the rear property lines, whichever is closer to the house.
- The swing set or play equipment is made of natural wood.
An application is not required for sandboxes if all of the following criteria are met:
- Total height is one foot or less above ground.
- Area is 25 square feet or less.
- The sandbox is within 20 feet of the rear of the house or two-thirds the distance between the rear of the house and the rear property line, whichever is closer to the house.
NOTE: Townhouse and condominium associations may have further restrictions on play equipment so please check with your local association. The most restrictive guidelines will apply.