An Exterior Alteration Application must be submitted for all patios and walkways.
Exterior Alteration Application Requirements
The application must include:
- Diagrammed plot plan showing the location and dimensions of the new patio/walkway and its relation to the existing house. Note: Applications without a diagrammed plot plan will not be accepted.
- Diagram of the existing patios/walkways.
- Diagram of trees and lot boundaries.
- Description or sample of the materials to be used.
- Description of proposed lawn contour changes, if applicable.
- The proposed placement of any plantings or landscaping.
- Description of any proposed screening. See GUIDELINE No.47—SCREENING.
- Description of railings, if applicable.
- Description of proposed steps or landing, if applicable.
- Description of new, replacement, or additional exterior lighting, if applicable. See GUIDELINE No.30—LIGHTING.
- Statement of the architectural style of the house.
- Manufacturer’s drawing and/or photograph, if applicable and available.
The application will most likely be approved if the following criteria are met:
- The design, location, and size of patios and walkways conform to the design and scale of the house and neighboring dwellings.
- All new materials are of a natural color, such as un-dyed concrete, stone, clay, brick, or wood.
- Existing contours are disturbed as little as possible. Terracing to follow existing land contours should be built in small increments, or a safety railing should be provided.
- Ingress and egress to and from the patio and maintenance of the patio can be accomplished while on your own property, i.e., without trespass.
- Materials for patios and walkways match existing patios and walkways which they adjoin.
- The location provides reasonable visual and acoustical privacy for neighbors.
- Screening, fencing, or planting has been proposed to preserve such privacy, if applicable. See GUIDELINE No.47—SCREENING.
- The proposal does not include loose material walkways e.g., crushed stone.