An Exterior Alteration Application must be submitted for all dog houses and dog runs. This includes all dog runs and any temporary or permanent structure for housing a dog or other animal otherwise allowed by Howard County and the River Hill Covenants.
Exterior Alteration Application Requirements
The application must include:
- Diagrammed plot plan detailing the location of the proposed doghouse and/or dog run. Note: Applications without a diagrammed plot plan will not be accepted.
- Elevation drawings showing the pitch of the roof on the doghouse.
- The dimensions, materials, and color of the doghouse.
- Details of proposed screening, if applicable.
- Manufacturer’s drawing or photograph, if available.
Your application will most likely be approved if the following conditions are met:
- The roofing material and color of the doghouse roof are the same as the roof of the owner’s house.
- The sides of the doghouse match the color of the owner’s house.
- The size of the doghouse does not exceed 4 feet in any direction (height, length, width).
- The doghouse will be located within 20 feet of the rear of the house, but not closer to any property line than one half the distances from the house to the property line.
- The doghouse is located within the site lines of the house.
- The doghouse is adequately screened from view of adjacent properties.
- Does not include a dog run.
NOTE: Maintenance of structures and surrounding areas is of prime importance! Waste must be removed daily. The impact of the doghouse on neighboring properties will be considered. Dog runs will be considered on a case-by-case basis.