An Exterior Alteration Application must be submitted for all decks on townhouses.
Exterior Alteration Application Requirements
The application must include:
- Diagrammed plot plan, showing location of the proposed structure. Note: Applications without a diagrammed plot plan will not be accepted.
- A Completed Deck Worksheet.
- A detailed plan, to include a written description of all materials to be used.
- Measurements, dimensions, etc. of project.
- Elevation drawings of the structure.
- Details of any railings to be used, if applicable.
- Details of the flooring to be used.
- Description of any plantings to be removed, relocated, or replaced for the construction of the structure.
- Description of equipment such as meters or heating and air conditioning sources that will be relocated and provide new location.
- Description of additions of or changes to window or door location, size, or style.
- Description of proposed installation of or changes to the exterior lighting.
- List with all wattages of exterior lighting.
- Description of proposed landscaping or screening. See GUIDELINE No.47—SCREENING.
- List of construction materials with colors.
- Description of the roof to include pitch, material, and color, if a roof is to be added.
- Color of soffit and fascia.
Your application will most likely be approved if the following criteria are met:
- Deck is constructed with an 18-24 inch setback from the side property lines.
- Deck has a minimum of 1 foot setback from rear property line.
- Deck is a minimum 3 feet from adjacent decks.
- Deck is not attached to adjoining common walls.
- Deck length does not exceed 16 feet from the rear wall of the subject property that is farthest away from the property line.
- Privacy screens (if installed) will be board-on-board style and installed only on the sides of the deck.
- If composite material is used it is for flooring only.
- Screening (if used) does not exceed 6 feet in height from the deck floor and no more than half the length of the deck.
- Railings are non-decorative, 2 inch x 2 inch vertical pickets and have a 2 inch x 6 inch cap.
- No decorative picket patterns e.g., sunburst, Chippendale, etc.
- Clear wood preservative is used.
NOTE: Rear property line fencing is discouraged and will only be considered on a case-by-case basis. The installation of both a deck and rear property line privacy fencing is discouraged and will only be considered on a case-by case basis. Due to unique configuration of these townhomes (i.e., space constraints and security considerations), stairs are strongly discouraged. However, if stairs are proposed, they will be reviewed on a case-by case basis. The installation of landscape material will be required to minimize the impact that stairs may have on the adjacent open space areas.