An Exterior Alteration Application must be submitted for all new or modified decks, porches, or screened/enclosed decks.
The application must include:
- Diagrammed site (plot) plan, showing location of the proposed structure.
Note: Applications without a diagrammed plot plan will not be accepted.
- Completed Deck Worksheet.
- Detailed plan, to include a written description of all materials to be used.
- Measurements, dimensions, etc. of project.
- Color palette.
- Elevation drawings of the structure.
- Details of any railings to be used, if applicable.
- Description of treatment or paint to be applied to the materials.
- Description of any plantings to be removed, relocated, or replaced for the construction of the structure.
- Description of equipment such as meters or heating and air conditioning sources that will be relocated and provide new location.
- Description of additions of or changes to window or door location, size or style.
- Description of proposed installation of or changes to the exterior lighting.
- List with all wattages of exterior lighting. Description of proposed landscaping or screening.
See GUIDELINE No.47—SCREENING.
- List of construction materials with colors.
- Description of the roof to include pitch, material, and color, if a roof is to be added.
- Color of soffit and fascia.
Your application will most likely be approved if the following criteria are met:
- The alteration is compatible in location, color, size, conformity with design of house, and relationship of structure to neighboring dwellings.
- The Howard County Building Code is adhered to in all its aspects, including the obtaining of a building permit.
- Open, screened, or enclosed decks are constructed of durable materials.
- The deck is constructed of natural pressure treated wood or composite material. Any other finish will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- If composite material is used it is earth tone in coloring, matches the color of the siding, or is white.
- The proposed deck is in the rear of the house and does not extend beyond the sides of the house. If any of these structures are to extend beyond the sight lines of the house, it will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Evergreen screening is provided as applicable. See GUIDELINE No.47—SCREENING for more information.
- The following Guidelines have been reviewed and applied to the application as applicable:
GUIDELINE No.34—PATIOS and WALKWAYS
GUIDELINE No.13b—DECKS (STONEHAVEN TOWNHOUSES)
NOTE: Townhome/condominium owners should be aware that there might be additional requirements, restrictions, and guidelines imposed by your association. If you have questions, please contact your association officers or the Village Covenant Advisor.