An Exterior Alteration Application must be submitted for all compost bins.
The application must include:
- A site (plot) plan showing the placement location of the compost bin or tumbler in relation to the house, property line and neighboring houses.
Note: Applications without a diagramed plot plan will not be accepted.
- A drawing showing the exact dimensions and style of the compost bin or tumbler. If available, include a manufacturer’s drawing or photograph.
- A description of materials to be used and the type and location of materials to be used for screening. See GUIDELINE No. 47-SCREENING.
Your application will most likely be approved if it meets the following criteria:
- The placement of the proposed compost bin/tumbler minimizes the “look and smell” of the compost bin on neighboring properties.
- The compost bin will be located close to the rear of the house.
- The compost bin is not on Open or Common space.
- The property is not a townhouse (although these applications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis).
NOTE: If a compost bin or tumbler is moved to a location other than that of the original application, or the compost bin or tumbler design is altered in any way, you must submit a new application. A compost bin or compost tumbler includes any structure built to house composting materials.
Failure to maintain your compost bin is a violation of the maintenance provisions of the River Hill Village Covenants.