An Exterior Alteration Application must be submitted for all Chimney and Flues.
Exterior Alteration Application Requirements
The application must include:
- Diagrammed plot plan, showing the location of the chimney or flue to the house. Note: Applications without a diagrammed plot plan will not be accepted.
- Dimensions, color, style.
- Complete description of the material.
- Manufacturer’s drawing.
- Elevations showing the exact location of the chimney or flue.
- Elevations showing other chimneys and flues located on property.
Your application will most likely be approved if you meet the following conditions:
- Chimneys meet Howard County minimum height requirements. Height shall not exceed the County minimum unless required for proper functioning.
- Flues are totally enclosed (boxed in) with brick or stone or a material which matches the exterior house finish and do not exceed 14 inches in outside diameter.
- Painting to match the siding or the trim if the flue will exit the rear slope of the roof.
- If the flue is visible from the street, the flue enclosure extends the entire length of the flue.
- All flashing and trim is painted to match adjacent materials.
- Flues are identical with respect to design, proportion, and materials if more than one flue is proposed.
- Both flues are combined in one box enclosure if an additional flue is to be added adjacent to an existing one.