Guideline No. 07 – Basketball Equipment

An Exterior Alteration Application must be submitted for any and all basketball equipment, freestanding or attached, temporary or permanent.

Exterior Alteration Application Requirements

The application must include:

  • Diagrammed plot plan showing the location of the basketball unit.
    Note: Applications without a diagrammed plot plan will not be accepted.
  • Completed Basketball Worksheet.
  • Description of proposed unit.
  • Description of the backboard color.
  • Manufacturer’s drawing or photograph.
  • Color of the pole.
  • Height of the rim.
  • Description of how and where the equipment will be anchored (for attached units).
  • Plans for screening as applicable. See GUIDELINE No.47—SCREENING.
  • Signature of affected neighbors.

Your Exterior Alteration Application for free-standing, portable or permanent basketball equipment will most likely be approved if you meet the following conditions:

  1. The backboard is a quality, commercial one.
  2. The backboard is clear, white, graphite (gray), with hoop, stripe, and net.
  3. The proposed placement provides reasonable visual and noise consideration for neighbors.
  4. Appropriate screening is proposed (where applicable).
Front of House Placement
  1. Placement is at the side of the driveway away from the applicant’s house toward the side property line.
  2. The basketball equipment is no more than 20 feet or less than 3 feet from the front of the garage, and no more than 4 feet from the sideline of the driveway.
  3. There is a minimum of 7.5 feet between the backboard and the side property line and a minimum of 20 feet or half the length of the driveway (whichever is less) from the front property line to the backboard.
  4. The basketball hoop faces the driveway.
  5. You have obtained written permission of all owners if you have a shared driveway.

Rear of House Placement

  1. Placement is 10 feet or more from the rear and side property lines (although this placement will be considered on a case-by-case basis).

NOTE: Basketball equipment is not and will not be approved in the Howard County Right of Way (ROW: the street, the sidewalk, street tree easements, and the cul-de sacs.) Residents with complaints about basketball equipment in the County Right­ of Way may contact Howard County at 410-313-7450.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply