Join the free programs offered by The Village in Howard (TVIH), a member-based community of Howard County residents aged 55 and older who want to continue to live independently in the homes and neighborhoods they know. TVIH is 5 years old and currently has 170 members.
Three members live in River Hill, including Village Manager, Renée DuBois.
Membership benefits include various educational, social, and cultural activities, as well as access to a variety of services such as transportation, wellness calls, home repair from referred contractors, and assistance with simple house maintenance. These benefits enable members to actively age in place. For empty-nesters, newly retired people, and seniors who moved to Columbia recently, this is a great place to meet new friends and to volunteer. TVIH, a non-profit organization, has received grants from the Columbia Association (CA) in the past. CA maintains a senior advisory committee which works in conjunction with TVIH.
TVIH is a member of the “Village to Village Network.” The Village movement started 20 years ago, and today there are over 251 open villages and more than 60 in development in 45 states and the District of Columbia.
All Howard County residents 55+ are welcome to join the following free TVIH programs that are open to the public. Meet new friends, share stories, stay healthy and connected.
1. Saturday Sneakers & Coffee: Walk around Lake Kittamaqundi at your own speed. After the 30-40 min. walk, chat and have coffee near the playground. Meet at 9 a.m. every Saturday at the fountain near Whole Foods Market.
2. Monday Meanderings: Walk around Lake Elkhorn with friends. Meet every Monday at 9 a.m. at the boat launch area.
3. Outdoor Happy Hour: Meet at various restaurants at 4 p.m. on the first Tuesday of every month. Check the TVIH website for locations. Pay your own bill.
4. Wednesday Outdoor Lunch Bunch: Meet at 11:30 a.m. every Wednesday. Check the TVIH website for locations. Bag lunch or pay for your own meal.
5. Good Morning, Howard: a one-hour virtual program hosted by volunteers every Wednesday at 9 a.m. The topics change every week. Check the TVIH website to register. The Zoom meeting link will be emailed to you after you register. Visit www.thevillageinhoward.org for more details or call the office at 443-367-9043.