Eliminate Theft by Following These Simple Guidelines
Preventing theft of your auto and theft of the items inside is easier than you think. Thieves generally look for easy, risk-free opportunities. Drivers become complacent about vehicle security and tend to leave their cars unlocked, windows down, and valuables in plain sight and easily accessible. As a result, drivers unwittingly create an easy opportunity for thieves to commit a crime.
The top 10 most frequently stolen cars in Howard County are: Ford E-Series, Ford F-Series, Suzuki GSXR – MC, Honda Civic, Honda Accord, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Camry, Dodge Caravan, Chevy Silverado, and Hyundai Sonata. The key to preventing theft is in your hands. Make sure your vehicle and your belongings inside of it aren’t an easy target by following these tips:
• Roll up your windows before parking.
• Keep the vehicle locked when unattended.
• Keep packages, loose change, garage door openers and valuables out of sight or in the trunk.
• Do not hide a second set of keys in/on your car.
• Look for parking spaces in well-lighted areas.
• Avoid parking near dumpsters, large vans, or trucks that would obstruct the public view of your vehicle.
• Use tire/wheel locks.
• Replace t-shaped door locks with straight locks.
• Install and use a car alarm.
• Use your garage, if you have one, and lock it.
• Avoid parking your vehicle on the street if possible.
• Park in attended lots when available.
• Record serial numbers for cell phones, GPS units, portable music players and other items frequently used in your vehicle.
A thief already has the desire and the ability to take your stuff. The only thing that the thief lacks is an opportunity. Don’t provide the opportunity. To learn more about theft prevention, visit MDAutoTheft.org
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!