Tony Miceli, Chair, called the regularly scheduled meeting to order at 7:04 p.m., on December 5, 2011, at Claret Hall, 6020 Daybreak Circle, Clarksville, MD 21029. Members present were Cynthia Asoka, Todd Harrison, Zachary Marks, and Dipper Wettstein. Sean Salisbury, Student Member, Michael Cornell, Council Representative, and Susan Smith, Village Manager, were present. Kenny Kan was absent. Chao Wu arrived at 7:17 p.m. Mr. Salisbury left the meeting at 8:20 p.m.
Approval of the Agenda (Agenda 2):
Mr. Wettstein made a motion to approve the agenda as presented. Ms. Asoka seconded the motion. The motion passed (5-0-0) (Student Advisory Vote – in favor)
Administrative Items (Agenda 3):
Mr. Harrison made a motion to approve the November 28, 2011 minutes. Mr. Wettstein seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0) (Student Advisory Vote – in favor)
Resident Speak Out (Agenda 4):
Old Business (Agenda 5):
- Solar Panel Installation – Mr. Rhodehamel, CA, provided an update on the status of the solar panel installation at The Meeting Room/Outdoor Pool. The redline revisions were approved by the Planning Board. The most affected residents (Trotter Road and Gentle Light Place) have been notified of the presentation: fliers were left at each home by CA, target listserv sent to Block Captain for distribution, general listerv announcement, Block website, and December newsletter. CA will follow-up with the resident who contacted the Village Manager. Mr. Rhodehamel reported that the closest residence is 220’ from the installation. The next closest is 250’. The panels will be installed on 6”x6” or 8”x8” posts. The panels are 3.5’ x 7’. CA is proposing three additional evergreen trees for screening. Jan Clark, CA, reviewed the landscape plans. Installation is expected in Spring 2012. It is anticipated that the electricity will be shifted to The Meeting Room and outdoor pool and is expected to supply the equivalent amount of energy as would take to run an average household.
It was the consensus of the Board that the effort is worthwhile. The Resident Architectural Committee will review the plans on December 7 to provide their input.
New Business (Agenda 6):
- FY11 990 – The 990/990T were sent to the Board Members via email for review prior to the meeting. Ms. Smith reported that Mr. Kan had reviewed the reports closely and recommended approval. Ms. Smith responded to questions. Mr. Wettstein made a motion to accept and file the 990/990T once Ms. Smith obtains clarification on Part V. Line 6a. Mr. Harrison seconded the motion. The motion passed (5-0-0). Student Advisory Vote – in favor.
Reports (Agenda 7):
- Village Manager – Ms. Smith thanked the Board Members who attended the Ignite Columbia session. The program was discussed. Attendees will be sent a survey to provide additional feedback. Ms. Smith reported that the Village Managers will be meeting Phil Nelson, CA President, in mid-December and also meeting with representatives from Full Frontal ROI to discuss social media.
- Board Chairperson – None.
- Council Representative – Mr. Cornell reported that the External Relations Committee is still working on the new Allocation Formula and results are expected soon; a capital improvement budget has been drafted; CA is setting up Technology Advisory Committee and the CA Board is seeking more active involvement of the standing committees; the Sister Cities program is being broadened to include Tema, Ghana and a city in South Korea is also being considered; CA has been lobbying SHA on widening Rt. 29 and has sent a letter in support of a new bridge from Oakland Mills to Town Center; the Aquatics Master Plan is still being worked on; Senior Discounts are being discussed; the use of the General Growth Properties/Howard Hughes Building as a Whole Foods has been discussed.
- Liaisons – Mr. Salisbury reported that the Breakfast/Lunch with Santa events had gone well and there were numerous teen volunteers. He made the Board aware that the Teen Advisory Committee is considering is exploring an event/activity that would support Grassroots. He suggested soliciting students to be members on the Master Plan Committee.
Executive Session (Agenda 8):
At 8:20 p.m. Mr. Wettstein made a motion to move into Executive Session for the purposes of personnel matters and potential litigation. Mr. Marks seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously (6-0-0). Mr. Miceli made a motion to adjourn the Executive Session at 9:09 p.m. Ms. Asoka seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0).
Board Speak Out (Agenda 9):
Adjournment (Agenda 10):
Mr. Wettstein made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:10 p.m. Mr. Wu seconded the motion. The motion passed (6-0-0).
Minutes submitted by: Susan M. Smith, Village Manager
Minutes Approved: January 9, 2012