Guideline No. 16 – Driveways

An Exterior Alteration Application must be submitted if there will be changes to the driveway. Changes include changing of materials, size, shape, or grade to the already approved existing driveway.

Exterior Alteration Application Requirements

The application must include:


  • Diagrammed plot plan detailing the dimensions of the proposed driveway in relation to existing structures and property lines. Note: Applications without a diagrammed plot plan will not be accepted.
  • Submit any proposed changes in grade and provide details (care must be taken in any drainage change).
  • Description of materials to be used, including color and texture.
  • Screening type and location, if applicable. See GUIDELINE No.47—SCREENING.

Your application will most likely be approved if it meets the following criteria:

  1. Materials of all driveways in the vicinity have been considered.
  2. Asphalt is not used (except for exceptional circumstances such as flag lots).
  3. Driveways are not of loose material (e.g., crushed stone).
  4. Repairs are made with the same material as the existing driveway.
  5. Any necessary screening has been provided.

NOTE: Painting of the driveway is NOT ALLOWED. Maintenance, repair, or replacement of all driveways is the responsibility of the owner or owners in the case of a flag lot or shared driveway.

Guideline No. 25 – Holiday Decorations

 Holiday decorations do not require an application; however, they must not be in operation more than 28 days before the holiday and must be completely removed within 28 days after the holiday.

Guideline No. 39 – Professions and Home Business

An Exterior Alteration Application must be submitted for all professions and home businesses.

Exterior Alteration Application Requirements

The application must include:

  • Type of profession/home business desired (complete description).
  • Purpose of the Business.
  • Description of where business-related materials will be stored.
  • A description of any signage to be used must be included in the application.
  • Approximate square outside footage of lot to be used for the business, if applicable.
  • Description of how products, services, or materials will be distributed and advertised, if applicable.
  • Type and number of vehicles and where such vehicles are to be parked if rental property.
  • Number and type of deliveries required.
  • Type and number of vehicles to be used in the business, and where such vehicles are to be parked.
  • The total square footage of the home and the percentage of that square footage to be utilized in the conduct of the proposed business.
  • The operating hours.
  • The number and times of meetings to be held per week and the number of people, who will attend meetings, as well as the number and type of vehicles that meeting members will drive and park at the meeting.

Your application will most likely be approved if the following criteria are met:

  1. A completed in-home business or profession application is submitted.
  2. An acknowledgment of the adjacent or affected property owners by signature is provided. (Signatures acknowledge awareness and does not constitute approval or disapproval.)
  3. The primary use of the residential property will remain a personal residence.
  4. Any sign or signage, other advertising service relating to professions or home businesses has been applied for using an Exterior Alteration Application and will not be placed on the Lot until approved by the RHAC.
  5. Operating personnel is limited to one employee other than those members permanently residing in the residence. Other proposals will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

NOTE: Section 11.02 of the River Hill Village Covenants states: “No profession or home industry shall be conducted in or on any part of a Lot or in any improvement thereon on the Property without specific written approval of the Architectural Committee.” The Architectural Committee, in its discretion, upon consideration of the circumstances in each case, and particularly the effect on surrounding property, may permit a Lot or any improvement thereon to be used in whole or in part for the conduct of a profession or home industry.” Home businesses are included in “home industries.”

If the impact of the profession or home business on other properties is significantly greater than that stated in the original application, the RHAC may reconsider and rescind its approval. The impact on traffic and parking is a consideration that the RHAC will take under advisement. Approval will only be granted if the business is considered to be compatible with a high-quality residential neighborhood. Any variance from the approved application will be considered a violation of the River Hill Village Covenants.

The following activities, among others, may be permitted at the discretion of the RHAC: music, art, and dance classes; schools, medical and dental offices; fraternal or social club meeting place; seamstress services.

Applications must be renewed after the first year and/or in the event of any material changes. Thereafter, applications must be renewed every two years and/or in the event of material changes.

Guideline No. 43 – Rental Properties, Boarders and Shared Living

 An In-Home Business Application is no longer required for rental properties, boarders and shared living. Every dwelling or dwelling unit in Howard County which is not occupied solely by the owner or owner’s immediate family must be licensed.