River Hill Community Association Student Member Committee Charter
The River Hill Community Association (RHCA) Board of Directors has chartered a special committee comprised of interested youth to enhance the well-being of the community by facilitating the active involvement of teens addressing issues relating to the youth of the River Hill community. Special Committees are authorized under Article 3 of the RHCA Articles of Incorporation and Article 3 of the RHCA By-Laws.
The committee will consist of up to two students. The committee member(s) will be referred to as the Student Member(s) on the River Hill Village Board. Communications will be established, and the committee will advise the Board and if requested represent the Board.
The committee will be called the Student Member Committee. The member(s) will be responsible for liaison to the Board, and to the county if needed.
Howard County students have the opportunity to be represented on the Board of Education through an individual who serves as the Student Member on the Board. A similar opportunity will be made available for youth to be represented on the River Hill Village Board through the Student Member Committee. The Student Member Committee will consist of up to two individuals who wish to make an impact on the community. The Student Member(s) should demonstrate strong leadership, and the member(s) will work together with the Village Board as well as the Teen Advisory Committee (TAC) to bring to light the student perspective in the context of the Village of River Hill.
Roles and Responsibilities
The role of the Student Member(s) is to hold an advisory position on the Board. The Student Member(s) will regularly attend Board meetings. The student member(s) will have an opinion vote only on all matters other than personnel matters, budgetary matters, and contracts and is not eligible to participate in Executive Sessions. In addition, the creation of the Student Member position on the Village Board provides a certain practicability of a Teen Advisory Committee, more directly linking the TAC members to the Village Board itself.
- Any student applying for the Student Member position must be a rising junior or a rising senior.
- The student(s) will be appointed through an interview and application procedure at the discretion of the current Village Board members. The RHCA Student Member(s) will be appointed for a one-year term for the period September 1 – August 31.
- It is expected that the Student Member(s) will regularly attend the Board meetings and serve as a consistent liaison for the youth of the community.
- It is expected that the Student Member(s) will serve as chairperson(s) for the Teen Advisory Committee to promote teen involvement in the community through planning and implementing teen events and volunteer programs, including but not limited to, the following community events:
- River Hill Halloween Event
- Breakfast and Lunch with Santa Event
- Breakfast and Lunch with the Bunny Event
- Searching for Spring Easter Egg Hunt
- At least one (1) community benefit event geared specifically for teens, by teens
- Other events can include community fundraisers, drives, advocacy programs, etc.
Revised and Approved: June 18, 2012