River Hill Board of Directors Meeting
August 16, 2010
Todd Harrison, Board Chair, called a regularly scheduled meeting of the River Hill Village Board to order at 7:00 p.m., on August 16, 2010, at Claret Hall, 6020 Daybreak Circle, Clarksville, MD 21029. Members present were Trevor Greene, Tony Miceli, Asmi Panigrahi, and Frank Saletel. Michael Cornell, Council Representative and Susan Smith, Village Manager, were present.
Approval of the Agenda (Agenda 2):
Mr. Miceli made a motion to approve the agenda with the addition of 6B. – Political Forum. Mr. Greene seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously (5-0-0).
Resident Speak out (Agenda 3):
Anthony Del Buono (Distant Thunder Trail) made the Board aware of issues that have arisen in the open space behind Distant Thunder Trail and expressed concerns regarding the use of the area for additional open space amenities. An information packet, including a petition from residents, was submitted prior to the meeting and is on file with the original minutes. Girard Keating (Distant Thunder Trail) supported Mr. Del Buono’s comments and concurred that the way the area is currently used is appropriate. Use of the area for sledding and cross country skiing creates a parking problem. Jim Pak (Distant Thunder Trail) expressed concerns regarding parking and speeding when the area is used for more than general recreation. The residents were in agreement that amenities that would draw a large number of people would be an issue for residents on the cul de sac due to parking a safety concerns.
Meet with District 4 County Council Candidates (Agenda 4):
The Village Board met with the District 4 County Council Candidates: Tom D’Asto, Alan Klein, and Mary Kay Sigaty. The meeting followed a question and answer format. The following topics were discussed: development of a Master Plan for the Village; local deer population; the method of taxing vacant land in Columbia’s Town Center, local traffic and safety issues including traffic on MD 108 & 32, pruning of street trees, bike lanes, crosswalks, and the safety of back roads; watershed issues including the cost of maintaining the watershed; involvement of local youth; crime in the community; the Howard County budget process and the cost of employee pensions; and the ability of the county to continue to attract new businesses.
Ms. Sigaty made the Village Board aware of a request for a conditional use to construct and operate a funeral home on the residential property located next to St. Louis Catholic Church. Ms. Sigaty and Mr. Fox have jointly sponsored a zoning regulation amendment to modify the parking regulations for funeral homes. Ms. Sigaty asked the Village Board to review the request and consider the implications.
Old Business (Agenda 5):
- “Community Playground”/Open Space Amenities – Denis Ellis, CA Open Space Management, reviewed the proposals for fitness trails and/or a disc golf course. The budget was originally $100,000 – 120,000. Mr. Ellis estimated that to construct two amenities would cost approximately $50,000. The Board discussed the funds, or a portion thereof, to install bike lanes along Great Star Drive. Mr. Ellis will investigate this use of the funding.
- Teen Advisory Committee Charter – Ms. Panigrahi reviewed the draft Charter (a copy is on file with the minutes). Modifications were discussed. Mr. Harrison made a motion to approve the Charter as amended. Ms. Panigrahi seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously (5-0-0). It was the consensus of the Board to have the term of appointment run from October 1 – September 30 and members will be appointed through an application and interview process with the Village Board.
New Business (Agenda 6):
- Free Usage Requests – Mr. Saletel made a motion to approve the free usage requests. Ms. Panigrahi seconded the motion. The motion passed (5-0-0).
- Political Forum – Mr. Greene recommended that the Association sponsor a political forum prior to the general election. He recommended that the forum be held for either the State Delegation or the School Board. It was the consensus of the Board to host a forum for the candidates for District 13. Mr. Greene and Ms. Smith will coordinate and information regarding the format will be circulated for Board approval by Monday, August 23.
Reports (Agenda 7):
- Village Manager – A copy of the report is on file with the minutes. Ms. Smith made the Board aware of Resident Architectural Committee and Architectural Committee membership issues that are slowing down the process. The Board discussed ways to solicit involvement. Ms. Smith reviewed the FY10 Cash Reserves chart and discussed anticipated decreases in the Association’s class revenue.
- Board Chair – None.
- Council Representative – Mr. Cornell provided copies of the talking points for the June – August meetings of the CA Board of Directors. Mr. Cornell informed the Board of the increases in the cost of dredging the lakes. The Board discussed alternatives.
- Liaison Areas – Mr. Miceli reported that the Traffic and Safety Committee will be suspending meetings for now. He will be following up with the Department of Public Works and Kimco Realty about the outstanding items. Mr. Saletel requested that the Board make a recommendation regarding the Open Space Amenities at the September 13 meeting. Mr. Saletel volunteered to review the zoning regulation amendment referred to by Ms. Sigaty. .
Administrative Items (Agenda 8):
Board Speak Out (Agenda 9):
Adjournment (Agenda 10):
Saletel made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 10:00 p.m. Mr. Greene seconded the motion. The motion passed (5-0-0).
Minutes submitted by: Susan M. Smith, Village Manager
Minutes approved: September 13, 2010