Todd Harrison, Board Chairperson, called a regularly scheduled meeting of the River Hill Village Board to order at 7:03 p.m., on April 19, 2010, at Claret Hall, 6020 Daybreak Circle, Clarksville, MD 21029. Members present were Trevor Greene, Tony Miceli, and Frank Saletel. Susan Smith, Village Manager was present. Sunil Sinha and Michael Cornell, Council Representative, were absent. Lisa Buckmaster, Facility Coordinator, joined the meeting at 8 p.m.
Approval of the Agenda (Agenda 2):
Mr. Greene made a motion to approve the agenda with the deletion of Item 4A. Board Membership and the addition of 5C. FY11-12 Management Contract. Mr. Saletel seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously (4-0-0).
Resident Speak out (Agenda 3):
Sophia Vazquez discussed the River Hill High School School Improvement Plan. The school is putting in to place a new system to address issues that arise when student leaders and athletes “act out” during and out of season.
Jeff Robinson, Candidate for the House of Delegates in District 13, introduced himself and expressed his interest in learning about local issues.
Old Business (Agenda 4):
- Board Membership – Deleted from the agenda.
- River Hill Garden Center – The Planning Board meeting on the Garden Center is expected to take place on May 20. Mr. Saletel indicated that he will be unable to testify that day. The goal is to have someone represent the Board at the meeting. It was the consensus of the Board that the written testimony previously submitted is sufficient.
- Tot Lot Elimination Program – The Board discussed selecting one tot lot for elimination and the need for additional resident input. The consensus was to put forth two tot lots for consideration: RH9 – Mellow Wine Way and RH21 – Red Clover Lane. Resident feedback will be solicited for further consideration at the June 7, 2010 Board Meeting.
- Donation Request – In recognition of the Police Department’s efforts on behalf of the village residents, Mr. Saletel made a motion to approve a $50 donation to the Police Unity Tour. Mr. Greene seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously (4-0-0).
- Rental Contract Revisions – Ms. Smith reviewed the modification recommended by the Association’s attorney (copy on file with original minutes). Mr. Greene made a motion to approve the revised rental contract. Mr. Miceli seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously (4-0-0).
- FY11 Operating Budget – The Board and staff discussed local competition and opportunities for increasing revenue and decreasing expenses. Referral discounts, repeat discounts, and staff incentives were discussed. Staff development efforts will be focused on revenue production. Ms. Smith will present a revised budget at the May 3 meeting.
New Business (Agenda 5):
- Rental Rates – Ms. Buckmaster reviewed the proposed changes to the rental rates (copy on file with the original minutes). Mr. Miceli made a motion to approve the rental rate changes effective May 1, 2010. Mr. Saletel seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously (4-0-0).
- Furniture and Fixture Expenditures – Ms. Buckmaster reviewed staff recommendations for out of budget expenditures (copy on file with original minutes). Mr. Saltel made a motion to approve the recommended purchases of plants, trash cans, and a storage cart for the folding chairs. Mr. Miceli seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously (4-0-0).
- FY11-12 Management Contract – Ms. Smith recommended the approval of the FY11-12 Management Contract. The Board requested more time for review and asked to have this added to the May 5 agenda.
Reports (Agenda 6):
- Village Manager – Ms. Smith made the village Board aware of issues that had arisen regarding basketball poles in the County rights-of-way. The Board asked staff to develop a draft policy for review.
- Council Representative – None.
- Chairperson – Mr. Harrison provided a summary of the first Master Plan Committee meeting. Mr. Harrison will draft a summary of the meeting and a Charter for discussion at the next Committee meeting. Mr. Greene commented that there was a lot of excitement at the meeting.
- Liaison Areas – Mr. Miceli announced that at the next Traffic & Safety Committee meeting, Ray Mercado, DPW, will attend to to walk around the community. In May the Committee will meet with Kimco Realty property manager. Mr. Greene made a motion that if the Association is unable to submit a grant request to the Governor’s Commission on Crime Prevention this year, that the Association will submit next year. The motion passed (4-0-0).
Administrative Items (Agenda 7):
Mr. Greene made a motion to approve the April 5, 2010 minutes as presented. Mr. Miceli seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously (4-0-0).
Board Speak out (Agenda 9):
The Board discussed membership issues. Ms. Smith will make personal contacts with some of the Block Captains to assess interest. Mr. Miceli suggested that the Teen Representatives promote the village elections.
Adjournment (Agenda 10):
Mr. Harrison made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:50 p.m. Mr. Greene seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously (4-0-0).
Minutes submitted by: Susan M. Smith, Village Manager
Minutes Approved: May 3, 2010
- Todd – draft Master Plan Committee Meeting Notes
- Todd – draft Master Plan Committee Charter
- Revise draft budget
- Police Unity Tour Donation
- Publicize tot lot elimination options in May newsletter
- Contact Block Captains regarding Board Membership
- Draft Basketball Pole Enforcement Policy
- Update the rental contracts and rate sheets to reflect the changes approved at the meeting.
- Develop strategies for referral and repeat business incentives
Special Events/Newsletter Coordinator