Guideline No. 48a – Security – Lighting
An Exterior Alteration will be required for all security lighting, flood lights and various types of high output lights.
Application must include:
- A site (plot) plan showing the location.
Note: Applications without a diagramed plot/plat plan will not be accepted.
- Bulb type and wattage or wattage equivalent.
- Aim and illumination area of lights.
- Style, size, scope (range) of proposed lights.
- Describe the impact on neighboring properties.
- Manufacturer’s drawing.
- Photograph, if available.
Your application will most likely be approved if it meets the following criteria:
- Consideration is given to the impact on neighboring properties.
- The lights are carefully aimed so that they illuminate only a specific area on your own property.
- The lighting illuminates only a specific area which is totally within the applicant’s property.
- High light fixtures are shielded to prevent unwanted or excessive intrusion of light from one property to another.
- Number (amount) of security lights is reasonable to the size and scale of the property. Lighting does not detract from the residence’s appearance or the residential look of the neighborhood.
- All lighting equipment is painted to match the color of the surface to which they are attached.
NOTE: Exterior Alterations of this type must be considered carefully because of the impact on neighboring properties.