Guideline No. 20a – Gardens: Flower and/or Vegetable
An exterior application is required for all large gardens (size exceeds 225 square feet, 25 feet x 9 feet), side yard vegetable gardens, extensive foundation planting, or when significant garden changes are planned.
The application must include:
- A site (plot) plan showing the location and dimensions of the garden.
Note: Applications without a diagrammed plot plan will not be accepted.
- Any fencing on plan, with dimensions and materials, if applicable.
- Planting materials to be used for screening, if applicable.
- A description of plants or vegetables to be grown.
- A list of all planted material and its height at maturity.
- A description of plant medium material.
- Description of the type of temporary wire that will be used, to keep small animals out of garden areas, if applicable.
Your exterior alteration application will most likely be approved if the following conditions are met:
- Garden is not placed on a grade that may lead to soil erosion or property damage.
- It is not a front yard vegetable garden. These will not be approved.
No Approval Required
An Exterior Alteration Application will not be required when either of the following criteria is met:
- Small plots, located at the back of the house, that do not extend more than 3 feet from the foundation wall and do not exceed the length of the house.
- One single plot per property located within the rear lines of the house and the rear property line in which ALL of the following conditions are met:
- size does not exceed 225 square feet;
- garden is not placed on a grade that may lead to soil erosion or property damage.
NOTE: Temporary wire fencing of welded wire mesh may be used to keep out small animals. Total height of fencing for vegetable gardens, including support, shall not exceed 36” and must be removed at the end of the planting season.
When having any bulk garden materials delivered, please have items placed on your own property or driveway, not sidewalk, right-of-way, etc., and have reasonable amounts delivered. Items may not be stored in a visible location for more than 1 week.
Failure to maintain your garden is a violation of the maintenance provisions of the River Hill Village Covenants. See GUIDELINE NO. 31- Maintenance
NOTE: In Howard County, last frost date is May 6th; first frost date is October 6th.